Make Traditional Indian Gujiya Healthier With TFL’s Lokwan Wheat atta
Holi, the festival of colours, is incomplete without Gujiya! This traditional Indian sweet is a delicious and guilt-free snack that can be enjoyed during this special occasion. Gujiya is a fried pastry filled with a delicious sweet filling made from TFL’s lokwan wheat atta instead of all purpose flour for a healthier version. The filling is made from crumbled or grated khoya, powdered sugar, chopped nuts and raisins, and cardamom powder for a delicious and fragrant flavor. Try the below recipe and enjoy a plate of hot and crispy Gujiya with your family and friends this Holi!
For the Dough:
2 cups of TFL’s lokwan wheat atta
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons of warm ghee
For the Filling:
½ tablespoon ghee
1 cup crumbled or grated khoya
⅓ cup powdered sugar
Chopped nuts and raisins
½ teaspoon cardamom powder
1. Take 2 cups of TFL’s lokwan wheat atta and add ¼ teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons of warm ghee to it. Mix the ghee with the flour, and rub with your fingertips to form a breadcrumb-like texture.
2. Add ⅓ to ½ cup water in parts and knead the dough & cover the dough with a moist muslin cloth and set aside for 30 minutes.
3. Melt ½ tablespoon ghee in a pan on low heat & add 1 cup crumbled or grated khoya. Stir the khoya continuously on low heat, Cook the khoya until it begins to gather around itself. Switch off the heat. Add ⅓ cup powdered sugar, chopped nuts, raisins, and ½ teaspoon cardamom powder and mix everything well.
4. Prepare small dough balls and Cover them with a moist cloth.
5. Roll each ball with the rolling pin to a small circle 4 to 5 inches in diameter. Apply water over the circumference edge.
6. Place about 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of the prepared khoya filling on one side of the circle, keeping the edges empty.
7. Now fold the dough over the filling and seal the edges.
8. Fry both sides of gujiya in the oil at medium heat. Place the fried gujia on kitchen paper napkins.
9. You can also bake Gujiya. Bake the gujiya for 20 to 30 min. at 200 degrees Celsius until they turn golden.
Enjoy your delicious Gujiya!
You can also bake Gujiya for 20 to 30 min. at 200 degrees Celsius until they turn golden.
The reason why we have replaced maida with TFL’s lokwan wheat atta is because it is a healthier and more nutritious option. Lokwan wheat atta is rich in dietary fibre, vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients. It helps in reducing cholesterol, boosting immunity and can even help with diabetes. It is also low in saturated fat and sodium. It is a much better option than maida which is refined and contains empty calories.
So, opt for TFL’s lokwan wheat atta while preparing Gujiya and enjoy a guilt-free snack.